Cauliflower Mac and Cheese: Vegan & Gluten-free
We’ve all heard the rumors, there’s a new veggie on the block and it’s taking over the Vegan food blogs by storm! Cauliflower, broccoli’s pale older brother, is making its debut as a versatile and easy to transform vegetable that people of all ages are going nuts over. I myself love cauliflower, when I need a super easy dinner I’ll just roast some of it and eat with my favorite sauce, spicy mayo. But lately I’ve been craving something cheesy on my cauliflower and that’s when it hit me. Cauliflower would make the perfect “noodle” for mac and cheese! When boiled properly cauliflower has this amazingly similar to pasta consistency, not too gooey not too hard, just right(as Goldilocks would say).
This recipe is super easy so if you’re a beginning vegan chef then this is the recipe for you! This is by far the healthiest vegan Mac n cheese recipe in the world! By highlighting the fanciest nut of all the nuts, cashews, we are going to be able to create that creamy texture that mac and cheese has without any of the nasty side effects of using a dairy based sauce. I know that when many people first go vegan one of the first things they worry about is the lack of cheese in thier diets but through a lot of trial and error (and I mean a lot of trial) I have found the perfect balance for this sauce and I can’t wait for you all to try it.
● 1 head of cauliflower
● 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
● 1 cup baby carrots
● 1/2 cup raw cashews
● 3 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
● 1 big squirt of yellow mustard
● 1 sprinkle of paprika
● 1 sprinkle of garlic powder
● 1 sprinkle of onion powder
● 3 green onions (chop into little pieces)
● 1 sprinkle of sea salt Directions:
1. Take a medium sized pot and add two cups of water. While you are allowing the water to boil chop your cauliflower up into bite sized pieces (however large or small) and when they are all bite sized add them to the water and allow to cook for around 15 minutes.
2. Take a smaller pot and dump your cashews and carrots in with about enough water to cover the cashews and carrots (around a cup). Bring this to a boil and also allow to cook for around 15 minutes.
3. While the stuff is cooking you can assemble the remainder of the ingredients into your blender (doesn’t have to be a food processor a blender will work just fine).
4. When the fifteen minutes is up remove your cauliflower from the water and set aside to cool. Take your cashew and carrot mix and drain it, once it is water free add it to your mix in the blender and blend it all together.
5. If the sauce isn’t as creamy as you want add a little more almond milk, but not too much, you don’t want soupy mac and cheese. Or if your sauce is too creamy add more nutritional yeast.
6. Now that you have the perfect sauce find a bowl and pour your sauce over some cauliflower “noodles”, grab a spoon and enjoy!
Be sure to comment below and post pics of your masterpieces and let me know if my vegan cheese met all of your gooey expectations!